01 02 03 Tattered Hymnal: Another Year is Dawning 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Another Year is Dawning

34
Text: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1874
Tune: CRUCIFIX, traditional Greek melody
from The Christian Life Hymnal, 2006

I love the first day of a new resolution. As a student, I would begin the first day of every semester with a new assignment book and a vow that I would read all my assignments a week ahead of time, start each paper long before the due date, and keep up with all of the assigned reading. I thoroughly enjoy shopping the aisles of the fabric store, choosing just the right colors of yarn and sizes of knitting needles to make that perfect scarf or pair of mittens.

But do you know how many times in my 20 years of being a student that I actually kept up with assigned reading the whole semester? Zero. And do you know how many single, thumbless mittens and six-inch scarves I have in my knitting basket? Certainly more than I have finished. Even this new year hymn, which I had every intention of posting on January 1st, has been collecting dust in my drafts folder for a week - next to two Christmas posts that I might get around to finishing next Christmas. The funny thing is, I always think I can do it. Every time I make these lists and goals, I truly believe this will be the year that I will finally follow through on all the things I hope to accomplish.

I was glad when I found this hymn for the new year in one of my hymnals. It's the only one in the "New Year" section, and I like its focus. Instead of resolutions about exercise or eating better or keeping the house more clean and organized, this hymn focuses on the Father, his unwavering presence, his mercy and faithfulness. I have no idea what this new year will bring, and I have a list of 2014 goals and resolutions that will likely join the graveyard of well-meant but unrealistic resolutions by December 31. But along with my list this year, I'm hoping to keep the sentiment of this hymn in mind. It's only because God sustains me, gives me life, and gives me opportunities to learn and grow that I accomplish anything at all. So, here's to another year of trusting, of praising God and finding Him faithful. With my track record, I am thankful that I can count on Him. Happy New Year, friends!
35 36 37 38